If they say Gyeongju is the capital of cherry blossoms, then Shinan County is the capital of tulips.
Shinan Tulip Festival will showcase up to 6 million tulips and present various exciting events across the country. These places have been selected as the best place to grow tulips. The festival will start from April 18, 2014 and end on April 27, 2014. The opening ceremony will be taking place at the Shinan Tulip Festival Field. The county expects about 50,000 visitors this year. This just tells you how famous this festival really is. They say that this is the biggest flower festival around Korea. Further, the county includes one of the biggest beaches that will give guests a combination of strolling along the gardens and the beach.
If you are planning to stay the weekend for the festival, there are definitely other things that are great for tourist attractions. Daegwang Beach?is a beach on Imjado Island?which is also part of Shinan County. It is about 12 kilometers long and 300 meters wide. But, here’s the catch, there is only one bus daily from Seoul to Ji-do (Shinan) that leaves from the Gangnam Express Bus Terminal. There are buses that leave regularly for Ji-do from Gwangju and Mokpo. Once you arrive at Ji-do, take a ferry to Jinri Wharf. This will be another exciting thing to do while you are visiting Shinan County. Daegwang Beach is just one of the many places that are notable in Shinan. Look around for other things to plan your fun-filled weekend!
- Cultural Event:
- Traditional Percussion Performance ? April 18, 2014, 15:30-16:00 @ Tulip Square Main Stage
- Fusion Nanta Performance ? April 18, 2014, 16:30-17:00 @ Tulip Square Main Stage
- Dance Performance (Belly Dance, Korean Dance, Pop, etc.) ? April 25, 2014 @ Tulip Square Main Stage
- Donation Event ? April 18 ~ 27 @ Poongcha Lighthouse 1st floor
- Family Samulnori ? April 19, 2014 @ Tulip Square Main Stage
- Wrestling ? April 20 ~ 21 @ Shinan Tulip Festival Arena
2. Experience Event:
- Making Tulip Pot ? April 19~20 and April 26~27 @ Shona Sculpture Garden
- Horseback Riding ? During entire festival @ Horseback riding experience area
- Bicycling Along The Beach ? During entire festival, 20 bicycles available at a time
- Salt Cave Experience ? During entire festival @ Tulip Square
- Making Bow and Arrow ? During entire festival @ Tulip Square Experience Zone
- Making Magic Bubbles ? During entire festival @ Tulip Square Experience Zone
- Mug Cup Making ? During entire festival @ Tulip Square Experience Zone
- Organic Soap Making ? During entire festival @ Tulip Square Experience Zone
*Many musical festivities will be held continuously.
Host: Shinan Tulip Festival Promotion Committee/ (061)240-4041-4043
Homepage: www.shinantulip.co.kr (Korean Only)
From Gwangju ? Take an intercity bus to Gwangju U-Square Bus Terminal. Transfer to another intercity bus bound for Jido (지도) and get off at Jido Jeomam Dock. Bus schedule: 6:45, 8:30, 9:25, 11:20, 13:00, 15:40, 17:50, 19:00
From Mokpo ? Take an intercity bus to Mokpo Intercity Bus Terminal. Transfer to intercity bus bound for Jido (지도) and get off at Jido Jeomam Dock. Bus schedule: 6:45, 7:45, 9:50, 11:20, 13:00, 15:40, 17:50, 19:00
From Jeomam Dock ? Take a passenger ferry from Jeomam Dock to Imja Dock. Transfer to a shuttle bus to arrive at the festival venue. Ferry schedule: 07:00-18:30 (20 minute itervals) / 20:00-22:00 (1hr intervals)
NOTE: ALL DATES CAN CHANGE DUE TO FESTIVAL ORGANIZATION’S CONDITIONS. PLEASE CHECK THE WEBSITE OR CALL THEM BEFORE PLANNING TO ATTEND THIS FESTIVAL. IN THE CASE THERE ARE ANY CHANGES THAT YOU ARE AWARE OF, PLEASE SHARE IT WITH US AT firstname.lastname@example.org. THANK YOU!